Day 110 without playing golf
J.B. Holmes is just one of a dozen new long hitters on the PGA Tour. More than half of the 22 players who are averaging over 300 yards are fresh out of Q school or come from the Nationwide Tour.
"It's better to have a wedge in the rough than a 7-iron in the middle of the fairway," Holmes told USA Today. "That's just the way it's going now."
It’s hard to fault Holmes’ logic, especially after he cruised to a seven-stroke victory in the FBR Open last weekend. With six for six sand saves and just 108 putts, Holmes' short game was as deft as his drives were long.
The 300 Club
The new kids on the tee block:
1. Bubba Watson / 324.9 yards / Nationwide Tour
2. J.B. Holmes / 313.5 / Q school
3. Camillo Villegas / 311.8 / Nationwide Tour
6. Robert Garrigus / 308.6 / Q school
8. Steven Bowditch / 305.9 / Nationwide Tour
10. Will MacKenzie / 303.4 / Q school
14. Rober Tambellini / 302.5 / Nationwide Tour
17. Jeff Gove / 301.5 / Nationwide Tour
19. Jon Mills / 300.8 / Nationwide Tour
20. Bubba Dickerson / 300.6 / Q school
21. Chris Couch / 300.1 / Nationwide Tour
22. Henry Bjornstad / 300.0 / Q school
Hubba Bubba! Two Bubbas in the top twenty. How about that?
The Armchair Golfer
(Source: USA Today)