Thursday, December 6
2007 Putt of the Year
Sergio Garcia came close at Carnoustie.
Golf Central is running an online poll to determine the putt of the year.
And the nominees are...
• Zach Johnson's birdie on the 15th hole during the first round of The Barclays
• Tiger Woods' 70-footer on the ninth hole during the first round of the TOUR Championship
• Tiger Woods' birdie on the eighth hole during the last round of the PGA Championship
• Tadd Fujikawa's eagle on the 18th hole during the second round of the Sony Open
• Padraig Harrington's double bogey to force a playoff at the British Open
OK, I have a confession. I don’t remember much about any of these. There’s an obvious reason: I didn’t see all of them. The ones I did see apparently weren’t that memorable, or else senility is setting in, or a little of both.
Here's my nomination for putt of the year, with a twist...
It’s a putt that didn’t drop. Had it gone in, it would have changed everything for one talented but tortured young player.
• Sergio Garcia’s eight-foot par putt on the 72nd green to win the British Open
Garcia’s effort burned the edge. Heading into 2008 Sergio still has the “Never Won a Major” monkey riding his back.
Watch video clips of Golf Central’s putt of the year nominees here.
The Armchair Golfer