HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE GOLF SPACE, the original golf social networking site, which turned 3 during Masters week. The site was conceived and built by Tony Korologos, the man behind the popular Hooked on Golf blog.
“The site is 100% free,” Tony says, “and I’m proud to say membership is over 4100 and visitors have hit the site over five million times since it opened during Masters week of 2006.”
Tony is also one of the original golf bloggers, or at least one of the few I knew of when I first ventured into the blogosphere. He has a lot of passion and generosity when it comes to playing and promoting the game.
A bevy of golf products, services, destinations, events, news and more. Endorsement is not implied.
• Christopher Obetz has edited a series of four golf instructional books for Universe Publishing, and is the leading authority and biographer of Anthony Ravielli, who painted all the portraits of the club champions of Augusta National. Ravielli’s timeless art illustrated golf technique for Golf Digest and Sports Illustrated for 40 years, as well as the seminal Five Lessons: The fundamentals of Golf by Ben Hogan.
• Teaching golf professional Mat Gullo has published The 20th Hole, a stat and log book for golfers. More information at The20thHole.com.
• John Daly has confirmed he will play in the Spanish Open at PGA Golf Catalunya, April 30 – May 3.
• Nine OB Sports-managed golf courses were honored in Golfweek magazine’s Best Courses You Can Play, State-By-State Ranking for 2009.
• Never-Search, Inc., publishers of golf course information, is offering daily webinar demonstrations of its patented Never-Search for Golf™ travel and trip planning software. The Never-Search webinars are held every weekday morning at 8 am PST, (11 am - EST). If the 8 am session is full, a second session is held again at 9 am PST.
• Cybex International, Inc. was selected to outfit the PGA Tour’s mobile fitness and therapy centers with high-performance fitness equipment routinely used by the world’s best golfers.
• The Antigua Group, Inc., a designers and marketer of genuine golf and sports apparel under its Antigua brand, has signed a three-year license agreement with the PGA Tour.
• Dr. Robert Grober, founder and acting CEO of Sonic Golf Inc., will be one of three speakers at the 2009 Northeast PGA Instructors Conference, which will be held on Monday, April 20, at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, CT.
• Premiering April 20 at 9 p.m. ET in HD on the GOLF CHANNEL, Big Break Prince Edward Island will showcase six females and six males in a competition that test every phase of their games, course management and mental toughness.
• George Lopez and Stewart Rahr present the Second Annual National Kidney Foundation Celebrity Golf Classic at Lakeside Golf Club at Toluca Lake, CA, on May 4.
• Natalie Gulbis, a member of Team McGladrey, will be in attendance and speaking to golfers at the McGladrey Team Championship local qualifying event on May 5th at Two Rivers Country Club in Williamsburg, VA. The McGladrey Team Championship is the first nationwide amateur championship operated by the PGA of America, and was created in 2007 to provide a fun, competitive and professionally managed event to as many amateur participants as possible.
• The World Golf Hall of Fame has included Sonic Golf’s System-1 as a prominent part of an exhibit commemorating Vijay Singh's 2008 Fed Ex Cup victory.
• RoboCup, a new ball return robot that was launched at the 2009 PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando, has announced first production deliveries for pre-orders since its title of “Best New Product” at the PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando.
• The Boa Lacing System is a high-performance lacing system for golf footwear that’s being worn by various FootJoy athletes.
• The Arizona Division of Horizon’s Golf Group was recognized by Rain Bird Golf for outstanding performance and sales.
• Golf legend Neil Coles MBE and Mayor of Elmbridge, Cllr Nigel Cooper, were the guests of honour at Burhill Golf Club, Surrey, on Saturday April 4 to open the club’s new Short Game Academy.
• Marriott Golf announced its second annual International Family Golf Festival program, a yearlong series of one day family golf events taking place at 31 leading Marriott Golf managed destinations throughout the world.
• Annika Sorenstam will be writing a column for GolfChannel.com following all four LPGA majors and the Solheim Cup this season.
• Kenyan girls will discover the gift of golf through EWGA Foundation’s Drive for Dreams. The 2009 club donation campaign will benefit Renee Powell’s Girls Golf Program.
−The Armchair Golfer