Saturday, May 16
ARMCHAIR GOLF Briefs
A bevy of golf products, services, destinations, events, news and more. Endorsement is not implied.
• Former Baltimore Sun sports columnist Ray Fragger will be a contributor to SportsMediaJournal.com.
• HelpPoint for Kids (HelpPointForKids.com), an online charity game which took place in conjunction with the Zurich Classic of New Orleans tournament, raises money for children’s charities, more than $18 million to date.
• Kodak has launched a new fantasy golf league, the Kodak Challenge Fantasy Pick ’Em, which enables fans to experience the action of the Kodak Challenge in a free online game at www.fantasy.kodakchallenge.com. Participants are eligible for Kodak prizes as well as a season-ending giveaway to win a “DISNEY Golf Dream Vacation for Four.”
• Antigua Golf has renewed its sponsorship of the Antigua Triple Play Championship.
• James Ross (AuthorJamesRoss.com) is the author of three golf novels: Lifetime Loser, Finish Line and Tuey’s Course.
• On Learning Golf by Percy Boomer (Souvenir Press, 2009) is now available from booksellers.
• HOMER KELLEY’S GOLFING MACHINE: The Curious Quest that Solved Golf (Gotham Books) by Scott Gummer is now available from booksellers.
• aboutGolf has named Chuck Faust as President and Chief Operating Officer.
• Izzo Golf has entered into an arrangement to distribute HI-TEC Golf Shoes in the United States.
• Hank Haney International Junior Golf Academy has named Blaik Shew as Chief Executive Officer.
• Airing May 25 at 8:30 p.m. ET, the GOLF CHANNEL’S Operation Links will chronicle Kelly Tilghman’s journey of discovery, understanding and gratitude during a USO Tour. Joining her on the journey, which was filmed over the 2008 Thanksgiving holiday, were CBS Sports’ David Feherty, PGA Tour winners Howard Twitty and Donnie Hammond, long drive champions Art Sellinger and Brian Pavlet and award-winning illustrator Victor Juhasz.
• A Profiles in History auction of more than 200 Hollywood Wax Museum figures raised nearly a half million dollars. A wax figure of Tiger Woods was auctioned for $1680.
• In celebration of the 20th Annual American Century Golf Championship, Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course will offer one lucky sweepstakes winner and a friend the chance to hit the fairways with the biggest names in sports and entertainment. The Grand Prize winner and guest will play with Super Bowl Champ Ben Roethlisberger, comedian Ray Romano and dozens of other celebrities for the tournament’s first round, starting on July 14, 2009. Multiple 2nd and 3rd place prizes are also up for grabs. Entry at EdgewoodTahoe.com.
• Sandbaggers (HerSandbaggers.com) offers the latest styles and colors in golf sandals.
• Chicken Soup for the Soul has teamed up with Golf Digest magazine to present Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Golf Book (Chicken Soup for the Soul Publishing, LLC, April 2009), a collection of real life, inspirational stories written by PGA tour pros, celebrities, sports writers and amateurs.
• Complete with deals including $5 per nine before noon on Monday through Thursday, Eagle Landing Golf Course (just outside of Portland, Ore.) helps businesses work on their short game while working their pitch to increase business.
• Digital Pro Golf (DigitialProGolf.com) is a low-cost, turnkey swing analysis system for professional and amateur golfers.
• ruletwentyone, a new waterproof back pocket towel that was launched at the 2009 PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando, is an ideal gift item and tee prize for tournaments.
• This week’s 3 Irish Open is the first European Tour event produced and aired in high definition by the GOLF CHANNEL.
• Youreeeka (Youreeka.com), a pay-for-access Internet distribution platform, has announced its partnership with PGA golf professional Tina Mickelson to distribute her exclusive golf tips and instruction videos to worldwide golf enthusiasts via the Internet.
• GOLF CHANNEL viewers have the opportunity to win a spot in a PGA Tour pro-am event by watching the BMW Charity Pro-Am and participating in the 2009 Nationwide Tour Vegas Pro-Am Getaway. The sweepstakes, which began April 2, 2009, runs through October 27 when the Nationwide Tour’s season climaxes with one lucky viewer winning a trip for two to Las Vegas, Nev., and a spot in the Official Pro-Am at the PGA Tour’s 2010 Justin Timberlake Shriners Hospitals for Children Open.
−The Armchair Golfer