Saturday, December 19
ARMCHAIR GOLF Briefs
Assorted news items sent to ARMCHAIR GOLF. Endorsement is not implied. No consideration or compensation was received.
GOLF PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
• Ruthless Putting (RuthlessPutting.com) by Mike Southern is available as a paperback for $13.99 or an ebook for $8.99.
• Wintering Into Wisdom (PathBinder 2009) by M. Ernest Marshall is a Southern novel that focuses on the lives of four friends and golfers.
• OnPar, the world’s leading touchscreen golf GPS rangefinder, has expanded into the Canadian golf market.
• “Annika,” the women’s fragrance by pro golfer Annika Sorenstam, has rich aromas of amber, vanilla, white flowers and citrus, and is available at AnnikaFragrance.com. All domestic orders ship free in December.
• aboutGolf has installed a highly-customized PGA Tour Simulator in the new studio set for Golf Channel, which will launch in January 2010.
• Phoenix Environmental Care has added Thrasher™ herbicide, a low-odor, water-based herbicide, to its line of products.
• PUMA® has announced a new partnership for its North American golf business, forming PUMA Golf North America, which will act as the official distributor and licensee of PUMA Golf in the United States and Canada.
• RoboCup, the ball-return robot invented by Fine Tune Golf in 2009, has expanded its retail distribution. Retailers include Golfsmith.com, TGW.com, PGA Superstore (10 stores), GolfTown Canada (48 stores) and Edwin Watts Golf.
• Slotline Golf has introduced the SSi-600 Series putters, which includes the SSi-691, SSi-692 and SSi-693. The 600 Series is a high-performance putter line that incorporates multi-metal construction and Slotline’s Moment of Inertia (MOI) designs.
• Thomson Perrett & Lobb, the golf course architecture practice founded by Peter Thomson, has been appointed by Emirates Golf Club to modernize its flagship Majlis Course, home of the Dubai Desert Classic.
• The Pete Dye golf course at French Lick Resort has been selected as America’s best new course by Golf Digest and GOLF Magazine.
• Sandy Lane (SandyLane.com) in Barbados is offering a new Tropical Escape package to travelers visiting the resort between January 7 – February 7, 2010 and February 22 – March 26, 2010.
• White Plains Hospital Center will be the beneficiary of the Ahmad Rashad Golf Classic to be held June 27-28, at the Quaker Ridge Golf Club, Scarsdale, New York.
• Tickets for the Transitions Championship (at lower prices for 2010) are on sale at nearly 200 Florida Gulf Coast area Publix locations and through Ticketmaster.
• Waste Management is the new title sponsor of the PGA Tour’s Phoenix Open.
• The First Tee will be the subject of a one-hour special, “Celebrating The First Tee,” featuring The Golf Channel Invitational for The First Tee. The show will air at 8 p.m. EST Sunday, Dec. 20, 2009 on Golf Channel.
• Donald Trump will star in a new celebrity reality series on Golf Channel.
• Hank Haney International Junior Golf Academy (Hank Haney IJGA) has signed Richard Werenski (Georgia Tech) and Stephanie Meadow (University of Alabama).
• Turner Sports and the PGA Tour have launched a redesign of PGATour.com.
• The First Tee will receive the National Golf Course Owners Association’s (NGCOA) Award of Merit for its contributions to the game of golf.
−The Armchair Golfer