Saturday, January 23
ARMCHAIR GOLF Briefs
Assorted news items sent to ARMCHAIR GOLF. Endorsement is not implied. No consideration or compensation was received.
PGA MERCHANDISE SHOW
(The PGA Merchandise Show is this week in Orlando.)
• Cobra will participate in the Outdoor Demo Day at the Orange County National Golf Center on January 27.
• FOURTEEN GOLF will introduce its new professionally inspired TC-910 Forged Irons at the show.
• aboutGolf will provide its 3Trak ball and club tracking technology to PING for use in PING’s display at the show.
• Izzo Golf announced the launch of the next generation SWAMI 1500 Golf GPS. (Booth 1119.)
• Graphite Design, maker of premium shafts played on the PGA Tour, announced that it will unveil the new Tour AD DI – DEEP IMPACT shaft at the show.
• Fujikura Golf has formed a strategic partnership with Vicon Motion Systems and biomechanical sports performance company Bentley 3 to produce breakthrough and proprietary 3D golf clubfitting technologies that will be introduced at the show.
• OBAN Composites, a maker of shafts, will exhibit at the show, Booth 1501.
• PUMA Golf North America will participate within a PGA Merchandise Show exhibit in a meeting room just off the show floor to introduce its latest footwear, apparel and accessories.
• RoboCup, winner of best new product in 2009, will exhibit at Booth 973.
• Clubmaker John Letters of Scotland will exhibit at the show for the first time.
GOLF PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
• STX has expanded its ProFIT Series with the addition of the new ProFIT 6 Mallet Putter.
• A New York Times bestseller in hardcover, A Course Called Ireland (Gotham Books) by Tom Coyne will be available in paperback on February 2.
• Polo Ralph Lauren announced that professional golfer Webb Simpson has signed a multi-year contract to represent its Polo Golf collection.
• E-Z-GO introduced the TXT 48 fleet golf car, the next generation of the classic E-Z-GO TXT vehicle.
• Fujikura, the #1 Driver Shaft Brand in professional golf for the past nine years, has introduced its next generation of performance shafts for the 2010 golf season.
• The Divot Mat (DivotMat.com) is a new practice tool that records ball striking.
• The Kodak Challenge, a competition for PGA Tour players and fans, visits hole No. 17 at the Palmer Private Course of PGA West during the Bob Hope Classic on January 20-24.
• Los Angeles has been transformed into a miniature golf course, where in an 18-day countdown to the Northern Trust Open 18 golfers—including celebrities, pro-golfers and notable Angelenos—will putt, chip and drive their way through iconic Los Angeles locations (for example, a celebrity attempting to chip through the O in the Hollywood sign, a pro golfer driving a ball across Santa Monica Beach and more).
• The Canadian Rockies golf-and-resort-lifestyle consortium (CRG)—six properties offering 135 holes of mountain golf and amenities—has garnered honors from Golf Odyssey and WHERE Canada.
• Red Ledges (RedLedges.com), a golf and recreational community located near Park City, was named the No. 1 Best New Private Golf Course in 2009 by Golf Magazine.
• Fairmont Scottsdale (www.fairmont.com/scottsdale), host resort of the Waste Management Phoenix Open, is offering special packages.
• The World Golf Hall of Fame in St. Augustine, Florida, has a new, museum-wide audio tour, “Voices from the Hall,” that features over two-and-a-half hours of exclusive content from more than 35 Hall of Fame members.
• The Millennium Resort Scottsdale McCormick Ranch is offering the Dine, Stay and Play Package for a Valentine’s Day escape.
• The newly renovated Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club in Southwest Florida is offering special “Spring Value Rates” with many value-added components.
• Innisbrook, a Salamander Golf & Spa Resort, is offering its best golf package ever. The Tampa Bay area resort, which hosts the PGA TOUR Transitions Championship at its Copperhead Course every March, is welcoming snowbirds to the Sunshine State with a special rate.
• The Fairmont St Andrews, a 5-star cliff-top resort in St Andrews, Scotland, the Home of Golf, will offer a stay-and-play package during the 2010 Open Championship.
• LPGA and World Golf Hall of Fame member Judy Rankin and PGA Tour professional Billy Andrade have joined Golf Channel’s live tournaments broadcast team.
• His Majesty King Juan Carlos, Honorary President of the 2018 Ryder Cup Bid Committee, has offered his support to the community of Madrid in its bid to bring the Ryder Cup to the people of Spain at the 30th anniversary of the FITUR Tourism Trade Fair.
• Golf Datatech (GolfDataTech.com), an independent research firm for consumer, trade and retail golf trends and performance, has unveiled the first-ever Golf Apparel Market Reports.
−The Armchair Golfer
(Image: Josh V-R/Flickr )