Tuesday, January 12

Golf Pet Peeve: The Shot Jinxer




















(Editor’s note: Robert Bruce of Game Under Repair has something he needs to get off his chest. Maybe you can relate.)

By Robert Bruce
Special to ARMCHAIR GOLF


AH, THE SHOT JINXER. This guy just pisses me off.

The shot jinxer’s method is quite simple. And, usually, he employs it on putts. Here’s how it works. You have struck your 15-foot putt dead solid. It’s following the right-to-left line, breaking just like you envisioned. Your putt is inching closer and closer, honing in on the center of the hole. But it’s not in yet. As you prepare to pump your fist and celebrate a well-earned birdie, you hear the shot jinxer from 20 feet behind you: “Great putt!”

Suddenly, the ball makes an other-worldly shift to the left, horseshoes around the hole, and rests on the edge of the cup. Par.

The shot jinxer only makes matters worse at this point. “Oh wow!” he says. “I really thought that was dead center. Tough break.”

You’re fuming. Or at least you should be.

Harry Potter of the Links has struck again, itching for any opportunity to fire his verbal hexes at your unsuspecting and defenseless Titleist.

Now, some shot-jinxers mean well. They are simply nice guys who really want to congratulate you on a solid shot; they just do it too soon. These guys, while irritating, are just not as versed in the congratulatory etiquette of the game. Help them along. Teach them. Guide them.

But the plotting, conspiring, pre-meditative shot-jinxers? Drop ’em from your foursome like a bad habit.

Rumor has it that former PGA Tour veteran Bruce Lietzke was a legendary shot-jinxer. So much so that my friends and I coined our own term for the jinx. We called it a “Bruce.” For example, “Man, that dude totally just Bruced my birdie putt. I can’t believe that.”

The moral of the story: Weed out the shot-jinxers in your group—the “Brucers.” Or at least Bruce them back.

Two can play this game.

Robert Bruce is a full-time writer and part-time golf blogger in Nashville, Tennessee. Visit his golf blog at www.gameunderrepair.com.

(Image: danperry.com/Flickr)

4 comments :

Heather said...

Very funny! But I'd be lying if I didn't admit to doing it once or twice–even to a teammate. I just get so excited about the game sometimes.

I have taken to covering my mouth with my hand sometimes until I hear the ball drop.

I also love it when you are standing over a 6-foot putt and one of your playing partners says, "You never miss these." Boom! Automatic lip-out.

Mike said...

I don't see what you guys are so upset about. Everybody knows that "Brucers" get offered high-paying jobs as golf commentators.

ATrueGolfer said...

Ahh, wonderful post. I've seen this on numerous occasions. So much so, that a playing partner expressed his frustration by turning to the culprit and yelling "keep your mouth off my ball!" He didn't say another word the entire round.

Nice post.

Joy Price said...

I laughed reading this! I think we've all been in that position at one time or another... Very aggravating, I agree!
---
Joy Price
Hole In One International
http://www.holeinoneinternational.com