Tuesday, December 27

Caddie-less Laura Davies Pulls Trolley at Indian Open

Laura Davies
WITH 81 WINS, INCLUDING 20 on the LPGA Tour and four major titles, Laura Davies is one of the greatest female tour pros to play the game. Yet earlier this month at the Indian Open, an event on the Ladies European Tour (LET), Ms. Davies toted her own golf clubs like a rank amateur.

Her caddie was delayed due to visa problems. When her bag man didn’t arrive in New Delhi, Davies took matters into her own hands, refusing to hire a club caddie, a new twist in a long globetrotting career.

“Ended up having to pull my own trolley around, which is the first time I’ve done that in 26 years on tour,” Davies told the Associated Press. “I shot 3 over the first day. He made it for the second round, but it didn’t work out. I missed the cut.

“The officials were like, ‘You should take a local,’” added Davies. “But I was just irritated. So I just wanted to get out there, try and shoot something that wasn’t going to ruin the week, and I ended up shooting 3 over and the week was over before it got started.”

Davies, who was winless in 2011 after a five-win 2010 season, finished 48th on the LET money list. Whether or not she wins again, she should be enshrined in the World Golf Hall of Fame.

Did I mention Davies was the defending champion at the Indian Open?

“These things happen,” she said about the caddie-less first round, “but it was a shame.”

−The Armchair Golfer

2 comments :

Troy Vayanos said...

I can't remember ever seeing or hearing of this in a professional golf tournament.

Laura is unique that's for sure. From what I understand she is one of the few professionals that doesn't have a professional swing coach. I pretty sure she also doesn't use tees on the golf course.

Michael said...

Curious things also happen to the prominents. But Laura amazingly professional got out of the situation. Love it !