Thursday, December 22

Rory McIlroy Holes Out on Burj Al Arab Helipad




THIS MAKES ME DIZZY JUST WATCHING it. That’s world No. 3 Rory McIlroy atop the Burj Al Arab Hotel, 700 feet above Dubai’s Jumeirah Beach. McIlroy blasted bunker shots from the helipad with his caddie J.P. Fitzgerald by his side. And, yes, he holed one, just like he did a few weeks ago on the final hole to win the UBS Hong Kong Open.

The Mail Online has an assortment of stunning images of the promotional stunt.

Brian Keogh filed an insightful report at Irish Golf Desk on McIlroy, including how the 2011 Masters was a turning point in his career.

McIlroy tells Keogh:

“It was definitely the point where I reached the crossroads in my career where I could keep going the wrong way or really take responsibility for myself and say, ‘right, this is what I’ve got to do to get better and win, and improve as a player’.

“The Masters was huge for me. It was a huge disappointment at the time but reflecting on it, looking back on it, it was probably the most important day of my career so far.”

−The Armchair Golfer

(Visor tip: Geoff Shackelford)

3 comments :

rickyleepotts said...

Tiger did that a while back. He hit a driver into the water. Have you been there before? It's like $25 just to see the inside of the hotel!

The Armchair Golfer said...

No, I haven't been there. I've never heard of a fee just to walk into a hotel.

rickyleepotts said...

My aunt was there last year... She said I was $25 just to see the lobby. If that's true... Crazy!