Monday, January 16

Hairy Win Spurs Johnson Wagner

Wagner, pre-facial hair.
JOHNSON WAGNER, WINNER OF THE Sony Open in Hawaii, is a big dude. He stands 6’ 3” and goes 230 (according to his PGA Tour profile, although he might be lighter now). His given name is Montford and he is now wearing a moustache that everyone seems to be talking about.

“I was with my wife’s family in Richmond for Thanksgiving and I just didn’t shave the entire week,” Johnson said. “When I got home, I thought I had never had facial hair. So I thought it was too much growth to just let it go to waste.”

Indeed, a moustache is a terrible thing to waste. Or maybe a mind. Something like that.

Wagner closed with a 3-under 67 at Waialae Country Club to claim his third PGA Tour victory. After two bogeys in the first six holes, he played 4-under the rest of the way on a stingy golf course to beat a quartet of players by two shots—Carl Pettersson, Sean O’Hair, Harrison Frazar and Charles Howell III. The win moved him up 100 spots to No. 92 in the Official World Golf Ranking. The 31-year-old who has been back to Q-school too many times is just getting started, motivated by some new goals.

Johnson wants to return to Augusta, climb into the top 50, play in majors and have a shot at the Ryder Cup team. To that end, he hit the practice tee and gym hard in the offseason, returning to the tour 15 pounds lighter. Nothing like an early “W” to make you feel good about the work.

Where does Wagner go from here? And should he keep the ‘stache?

I don’t know, but I think he should stick with the moustache and also grow sideburns. The facial hair might just be the key.

−The Armchair Golfer

No comments :