Friday, March 9

Dr. Seuss Meets the Belly Putter

(Editor’s note: Dr. Seuss’ recent birthday sparked this ode to belly putting.)

By Charles Prokop
Special to ARMCHAIR GOLF


Copyright © Charles Prokop. All rights reserved. Used with permission.

Would You Like to Belly Putt?

Would you like to belly putt?
Hold that stick against your gut?
Swing it here and swing it there?
Make that ball go anywhere?

Or would you like the sweeper best?
Lock that stick against your chest.
Let it swing, just go tick-tock.
You can putt just like a clock.

Is anchored putting here to stay?
What do you say, USGA?
Can we use these special clubs?
No more yips? No more flubs?

Keegan Bradley, Adam Scott,
Billy Haas, you made them hot.
It’s been there for oh so long,
But did you win and make it wrong?

It was once just for old farts,
Those whose games had come apart.
But now young guns use anchors too,
Can we blame it all on you?

I still swing my putter free,
It’s like my other clubs, you see.
But should I care how others hit?
Should I throw a hissy fit?

I’ve tried them all, I still can’t putt.
Guess I’ve got a ticklish gut.
So I’ll keep doing what I do.
And other folks? It’s up to you.

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss, and please accept my deepest apologies.

Charles Prokop is a clinical psychologist who writes about golf at fairwaywords.

1 comment :

Daniel said...

Nice poem and Amen!

Next golfers will want that lazer grid thingy that Jackie Mason had in Caddie Shack 2. He had Tiger Vision before Tiger Woods viedo game ever even came out.

-Daniel
Diary of a Newbie Golfer