Tuesday, July 17

Enter to Win Autographed Copy of ‘THE LONGEST SHOT’

Me at recent signing. (D. Smith)
WHAT A RIDE. WHEN I STARTED this blog several years ago, I had no idea what I was doing or where it was going. One thing I did: I kept writing and writing and writing and writing. Over time, I learned a few things. Along the way, I’ve had a lot of fun.

Through this blog, I’ve made connections, gained access and developed friendships I could have never imagined. Exciting stuff. And I wrote a book about one of the greatest upsets in the history of both golf and sports.

If you don’t already have one, I hope you’ll pick up a copy of THE LONGEST SHOT: Jack Fleck, Ben Hogan, and Pro Golf’s Greatest Upset at the 1955 U.S. Open. I wrote this, my first book, because the story was too good to pass up. I could not believe an upset of this magnitude (ESPN Page 2 ranked it No. 7 in the history of sports) was not yet a book. Now, nearly two months after publication, I’m thrilled by the positive response from readers, The New York Times, Booklist, journalists, bloggers and many others.

For your shot at a free signed copy, I invite you to enter my giveaway during Open Championship week.

HOW TO ENTER DRAWING:
1. Send an email with THE LONGEST SHOT in the subject line to armchairgolfer@gmail.com.
2. Include your name and mailing address.
3. Provide any special instructions for how you’d like me to sign your book.

That’s it. Good luck!

Postscript

Life is back to normal after a week of amazing highs at the U.S. Open. I’m at home in my small town, quietly working and writing. But I won’t soon forget those seven days in June at the Olympic Club.

U.S. Open week included a book signing with Jack Fleck in the USGA Merchandise Pavilion and a slew of media opportunities, including an appearance on Golf Channel Morning Drive. I was also on with Mike Francesa of WFAN (CBS New York), wedged between NBC lead golf analyst Johnny Miller and New York Yankees star Alex Rodriguez. Geoff Shackelford covered me at his site and Golf.com/Sports Illustrated published an exclusive excerpt of THE LONGEST SHOT. Others also welcomed me, such as Danielle Tucker, Rod Morri, Jamie Watson and more. Thank you, all.

Did I foresee any of this when I clicked a few buttons on Blogger years ago and called myself “The Armchair Golfer”?

No, never.

Just like I never imagined that Bob Costas would hold up and mention THE LONGEST SHOT during NBC’s final-round coverage of the U.S. Open. But he did. I still can’t believe it.

Thank you for reading and following along. I’m going to keep writing for a little while longer.

1 comment :

Miriam Gruber said...

Congradulations on your book! I really have enjoyed finding your site and reading some of your posts. I love the enthusiasm you show for the outrageous outcomes that can happen. Seems you sort of feel that has applied to you with your success. I'd have to say your persistance is notable and it is only matched by your wonderful writing. I do hope my efforts to have a great blog bring me the joy your blog has brought you. I look forward to getting to know you and your blog better. http://www.facebook.com/#!/miriamgrubergolfer