Wednesday, June 19

Steve Stricker: 'I'm a Savage'



STEVE STRICKER IS A GOOD SPORT. We know that. Now there's another example. Stricker was a good sport in the above Avis "I'm a savage" commercial. Fun stuff.

Asked about the spot last week at the U.S. Open, Stricker said, "I hear that a lot from the galleries. And I'm not a savage by any means. I guess that's the funny part of the commmercial. I felt like a dork making it, but it was all good, all in good fun."

Starting one stroke behind Phil Mickelson's lead going into the final round at Merion Golf Club, Stricker got off to a rocky start and faded to a T8 finish. The tour veteran shot a 6-over 76 on Sunday after rounds of 71, 69 and 70. Despite going 4 over on his first three holes, Stricker said he was in a good place when he teed off.

"I didn't feel that nervous," Stricker said.

"I had a good warmup session. I felt good. I felt relaxed. I was excited for the day. Just the nature of the game, I guess. It puts you in place rather quickly at times. But still a good week. I competed well this week. I did a lot of good things. Surely not what I was looking for today, but still things I can build on."

Too bad about the missed opportunity. Along with Mickelson, Stricker, at age 46 and without a major, was a sentimental favorite. He knows he's running out of chances to break through.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I saw that Stricker savage (lol)

The Armchair Golfer said...

Stricks is a good guy. Of course, I'm sure Avis made it worth his while.