Monday, July 1

Inbee Park Another Step Closer to Grand Slam



THREE MAJORS, THREE WINS FOR INBEE PARK, who is as surprised as anyone about her history-making 2013 season. Park cruised to a four-shot victory at the U.S. Women's Open at Sebonack Golf Club on Long Island. Placid on the golf course, Park admitted to a nervous Saturday night as she contemplated tying the legendary Babe Zaharias, the last player to win the season's first three majors. That was in 1950.

Park not only did it, she made it look easy. The elusive Grand Slam, winning all five women's majors in the same season, suddenly doesn't seem so far-fetched.

"I am just very honored to put my name by someone like Babe Zaharias," she said. "I don't know what I just did today; it's something very great. It's scary to think about what I am capable of doing.

"Believe it or not, I was very calm out there. It was weird; I didn't feel much pressure when I was on the golf course. I was nervous last night, but on the golf course, somehow, I felt very calm."

Park will go for four straight majors in a month at the Ricoh Women's British Open, which will be played at the Old Course in St. Andrews, Scotland. She said she doesn't want to think about that possibility just yet.

By the Numbers

LPGA.com posted the impressive numbers and statistics for Park's three major wins.

Park is a collective 28 under par:

Kraft Nabisco Championship: -15
Wegmans LPGA Championship: -5
U.S. Women’s Open: -8

Park has played nine of twelve rounds under par, including seven in the 60s. She has hit 75 percent of the fairways, 70 percent of the greens in regulation and averaged 28 putts per round.

Park won the both the Kraft Nabisco Championship and U.S. Women's Open by 4 strokes. She won the Wegmans LPGA Championship in a playoff.

No comments :