Monday, September 9

A Golf Day at Olde Mill Resort



I PLAYED GOLF TODAY (MONDAY) AT Olde Mill Resort in Laurel Fork, Virginia, not far from my home in Floyd.

This is noteworthy for at least two reasons. One, I haven't played much golf this year. This might have been my third outing. Not very good for a golf writer, but the state of my game at the moment. I hope to get out again fairly soon. Second, I've long wanted to play Olde Mill. It's so incredibly scenic. So, after living 10 years in this heavenly part of the Blue Ridge Mountains, I finally played a round there.

Celebrating its 40th anniversary, Olde Mill was designed by Ellis Maples. There's a lot of water, including a 54-acre lake that is a centerpiece of the layout. And like a lot of golf courses in southwest Virginia, it's hilly, the front 9 in particular. The greens are exceptional. Olde Mill plays over 7,000 yards from the back tees. We played from the white tees, about 6,300 yards.

I enjoyed the 18-hole round with my friend Shep, who along with his wife Angie is the owner and innkeeper of the nearby Woodberry Inn, which is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway (Milepost 174.1).

No comments: