Friday, November 8

Global Golf (LinkedIn): 'No Such Thing as a Double Eagle'

I SAW THIS DISCUSSION AT GLOBAL GOLF, a LinkedIn group:
There is no such thing as a double eagle 
A birdie is ONE under, an eagle is TWO under- the next step is THREE under which UK golfers call an albatross. It CANNOT be a double eagle purely on mathematical principles as 3 is NOT the double of 2- simple ... please discuss
The discussion was posted by Stephen Smith, a senior psychologist and a sports psychologist.

(Courtesy of Scott MacLeod Liddle)
There were a few comments, mostly anti-American, but that's not my focus here.

I offered a lighthearted comment, saying, "There is definitely no such thing as a double eagleor an albatrosswhen it comes to my golf experience. Ha! Anyone in this group actually record one?"

David Varney of Lincoln, England, wrote this:
I have. I had been laid off playing for a few months after house move and went and played Crookhill Park in South Yorkshire. Opens with a shortish par 5. Hit a borrowed driver and then smoothed a three iron with a touch of draw around the tree in the fairway and she ran and ran straight into the hole. Unfortunately I was playing alone and the only people that saw was the group in front they didn't know it was [an albatross]. Second hole managed an 8 LOL and that proves the golf gods give and take LOL
So I have to ask ...

Has anyone else made an albatross? Tell us. The comments section is open.

3 comments :

Brian Kuehn said...

Not even close. Call it what you want, in my game it is an extinct animal.

TIM MURPHY said...

2009 Southern Dunes. 2nd shot to the 12th, I think, 230 yards, pitched 1 yard from the hole and rolled in. 3 wood.
My one and only after 54 years playing.

The Armchair Golfer said...

Nice!