Monday, February 17

Karrie Webb Earns Milestone Victory Down Under

Karrie Webb
KARRIE WEBB FIRED A 68 IN WINDY CONDITIONS at Victoria Golf Club on Sunday to win her fifth Australian Open. Webb's other Open victories came in 2000, 2002, 2007 and 2008. Her most recent win was her 40th on the LPGA circuit.

The 39-year-old tour veteran and Queensland native was hopeful when she arrived for the final 18.

"I feel very fortunate to have won today but I liked my chances at the start of the day because of the wind picking up," Webb said.

"If we had another day like we had the first three days, I probably was a little too far back to have a chance, so I was thankful for the weather changing and I played as good as I have in a very long time."

Beginning her round five shots off the lead, Webb carded six birdies against two bogeys to post a 12-under total of 276. Then all she could do was wait, which turned out to be a rather long wait since 54-hole leader Chella Choi was on the 14th hole. When Choi missed a 7-foot birdie putt on the final green an hour or so later, Webb could exhale and celebrate her 40th win.

"I got off to a great start and I just did a great job mentally today," she said. "I can't think of another time when I held myself together as well as that."

It was quite a turnaround after Webb's disqualification for signing an incorrect scorecard at the Australian Ladies Masters.

"It's amazing what happens," she said, "what a difference a week makes. Obviously, this time last week I wouldn't be expecting to be sitting here, so I'm glad things changed around quickly for me."

Webb moved up one spot to No. 7 in the Rolex Rankings.

Watson Wins

Bubba Watson shot 64-64 on the weekend at Riviera Country Club to win the Northern Trust Open, his first PGA Tour title since slipping into the Green Jacket at the 2012 Masters.

No comments: