Thursday, July 3

VIDEO: Tom Weiskopf and Big Horn Sheep

THE ABOVE CLIP FROM FEHERTY landed in my email inbox this morning, courtesy of Golf Channel. Tom Weiskopf is the special guest on the next episode of Feherty that airs Monday, July 7. In this snippet, Weiskopf talks about what he was doing in September 1977 rather than playing on the U.S. Ryder Cup team. You may already know this: Tom was hunting big horn sheep in the Yukon.

As Golf Channel teases, Weiskopf "also clears up any misconceptions about turning down a spot on the 1977 U.S. Ryder Cup team." He had attempted to manage the situation well ahead of time, but it still kind of blew up in his face. You'll understand when you watch the clip.

There's a personal reason I'm passing along this Weiskopf anecdote. In an odd coincidence, my new book on the 1969 Ryder Cup (at right) briefly mentions Weiskopf's 1977 absence.

Earlier this week I received an email from Bob Denney, a senior writer for the PGA of America. Bob was kind enough to read a galley copy of my soon-to-be-published book (September 9) that includes a foreword by Jack Nicklaus and Tony Jacklin. Bob's keen eye spotted an error on page 265, where I wrote, "... while his teammates were playing for points in England, Weiskopf was hunting for bear in Alaska."

Wrong. It was big horn sheep. My mistake. I picked up "bear" from a published source. It's too late to correct for the first printing.

So, before my new book is even out, I confess and concede the first known mistake. I apologize in advance, but I do hope you'll still discover a highly accurate and thoroughly compelling Ryder Cup story. It has been polished, edited, fact-checked, proofed and otherwise scrubbed by yours truly and a crack editorial team at St. Martin's Press.

If and when you do read DRAW IN THE DUNES, I welcome your comments at And that includes any corrections.

No comments :