Tuesday, August 5

A Last-Minute Call to Caddie for Jack Nicklaus at '74 PGA

A 1974 MacGregor ad featuring Jack.
I ENJOYED AN ITEM FROM The Forecaddie at Golfweek.com about how heating and air conditioning salesman Jack Rickard got a last-minute call to caddie for Jack Nicklaus at the 1974 PGA Championship in Cleamons, North Carolina.

Rickard was supposed to carry for Buddy Allin at Tanglewood Park "until Allin fell off a ladder before the championship and withdrew. Rickard became first alternate until his phone rang that fateful morning."

Rickard, now 84, got a little excited when his phone rang and Jack Nicklaus was on the other end of the line.

"My wife said that I just screamed, 'Nicklaus!' (and) put on my shoes and ran out of the house," Rickard told Golfweek.com.

The North Carolina salesman trained for the PGA by putting bricks and two sets of clubs in an old golf bag and running up and down a hill in his neighborhood.

That Sunday Rickard had a front-row seat for Jack's final-round duel with Lee Trevino.

"Your man can't beat me," Trevino told the caddie. "No one can beat me today."

He was right. Lee edged Jack by a stroke.

No comments: