Friday, November 7

Chris Kirk's Caddies Receive Bonus Money

Chris Kirk (TravisMathew.com)
CHRIS KIRK, WHO FINISHED SECOND in the FedEx Cup Playoffs, rotates caddies on a regular basis, reported Golfweek's Alex Micelli. It's not that Kirk is dissatisfied with his loopers. Rather, he likes variety.

Kirk said employing multiple caddies is about "keeping the conversation fresh" and being "self-sufficient out there."

"I don't want to have anyone to blame anything on. I want it to be all on me, good or bad," Kirk said earlier this year.

Micelli explained how Kirk divided up seven percent of his FedEx Cup bonus money ($2.5 million) among his 2014 caddies. The total of $175,000 broke down to $6,250 per tournament. (Kirk played in 28 events.) The player rewarded his pool of caddies based on the number of tournaments worked.

"I don't really know the norm is as far as that's concerned," Kirk said this week. "I've got a bunch of guys that work for me, but they're all a really good group of guys that I really care about and they deserved it."

One could understand why caddies would line up to work for Kirk, who is tied for 21st after two rounds of the WGC-HSBC Champions in Shanghai.

Graeme McDowell is the 36-hole leader after a pair of 67s for a 10-under total and a three-shot advantage over Ian Poulter.

No comments :