Wednesday, April 15

Golf Digest: 'Sports Illustrated Is Big on Proclaiming New Eras in Golf'

Jordan Spieth era.
IF YOU THINK GAS IS CHEAP these days, what about golf eras? They can begin with one Masters (or other major) win.

I've been trying to bite my tongue. But I give up after seeing Golf Digest's "Sports Illustrated is big on proclaiming new eras in golf." Sports Illustrated has put 2015 Masters champion Jordan Spieth on its most recent cover with this headline and subhead:

JORDAN RULES
The Spieth Era Begins Now

Let me be clear about one thing. I vigorously applaud the historic win by Jordan Spieth. I'm also a fan. If this is the start of a Jordan Spieth era, GREAT. I just don't think we can answer that on Wednesday, April 15, 2015, at 2:30 p.m. Eastern time.

I also understand this new-era stuff and instant hyperbolic coverage are part of the media culture in which we live. (Thank you, Internet.)

Getting back to Golf Digest's piece, it's laced with snark. I have one word for it: touché.

About the Spieth cover, Golf Digest's Sam Weinman writes: "It is indeed pretty cool, except this was the cover four years ago, after a 21-year-old Rory McIlroy won the U.S. Open."

Rory McIlroy era.

"Is the McIlroy era over?" Weinman asks. "He's only 25. Can you have two concurrent eras?"

Hmmm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you...I stop paying attention to what most of these guys put forth sometime ago....