Wednesday, April 8

Spring Auction: Jack Fleck's Ben Hogan Irons and More

JACK FLECK MAY BE GONE, but his clubs are still around. And until this Sunday (April 12), they are up for grabs as part of the 2015 Spring Auction at The Golf Auction.

Jack died on March 21, 2014 at the age of 92 in Fort Smith, Arkansas. I miss him. We talked a lot when I was working on THE LONGEST SHOT. I have great memories.

I still occasionally talk to his wife, Carmen, who told me that Jack was recently inducted into the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame. Good for him.

But back to the auction.

Jack collected a lot of golf stuff during his more than 75 years as a golf professional. Now it's up for auction, including the Ben Hogan Precision Irons (at right) he used in the 1955 U.S. Open, where he stunned four-time Open champion Ben Hogan in an 18-hole playoff.

(In a strange twist, Jack was the first player to win with Ben Hogan clubs, beating the legend himself, who happened to be the only other man in the field playing Hogan clubs.)

[Jack Fleck Collection at The Golf Auction]

I held those iconic clubs in my hands at Jack's townhouse in Fort Smith. To be specific, I gripped one of the Ben Hogan Precision irons, one of the Ben Hogan fairway woods and a Tommy Armour driver. They all were in surprisingly good condition.

There are other Fleck auction items of interest, including his 1962 Masters Low Score Crystal Vass Trophy (at left). Jack shot the lowest final-round score that year, a 69, and finished 11th.

There are many more items, some of which are affordable for almost anyone.

No comments :