Friday, September 25

Friday Golf Shot: Playing for Trophies

Gary C / Flickr Public Domain


AT THE TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP IN ATLANTA, Rory McIlroy was asked about the pot of gold at the end of the FedEx Cup Playoffs. A cool $10 millon. Rory said:
No, money's never motivated me. It's never been a motivating factor in my life. My dad and mom together probably earned I don't know, 40, 50 grand a year. Combined. That was sort of our household income.

So it was never really a motivating factor to me because we never had that much to begin with. So, I probably don't -- I mean starting off, I started earning money at 18 years old and earning quite a lot, so I probably don't appreciate the value of money like some other people do. It's just never been that important to me. It's nice, it's nice to have it. It's nice to have that security for your future and for your family's future, I guess. But if I wanted to get into golf for the money, I would be in it for the wrong reasons.
Then it must be about the trophies. Of course, Rory is playing for different trophies than the rest of us.

(H/T Bernard Daily)

No comments: