Monday, September 14

Lydia Ko Channels Johnny Miller

LYDIA KO, THAT 18-YEAR-OLD PRODIGY from New Zealand, won The Evian Championship in France, her first major victory in a short professional career that's racking up amazing numbers. At 18 years, four months and 20 days, Ko is now the youngest LPGA player to win a major, surpassing Morgan Pressel, who tied for 11th yesterday.

Lydia Ko (LPGA)
It wasn't just that Ko won a major, which seemed inevitable. It was how she did it. Starting two shots off the lead going into the final round, Ko ran away from the field by firing an eight-birdie, no-bogey 63. She won by six strokes. Lexi Thompson was the runner-up.

Wrote Geoff Shackelford: "[Ko's] final round 63 will have to rank as the female equivalent of Johnny Miller's at Oakmont for all time great closing scores."

Agreed.

"It is pretty amazing," Ko told Golf Channel's Tom Abbott. "I didn't know how this day would end up, and I just tried to focus on my game. Today was an awesome day. It has been such an unbelievable experience, and everybody won't ask me anymore when I will win my first major because it's done."

Yes, no more asking about that. In fact, Ko's performance and her career to date could leave a person speechless.

"I just played pretty consistent," Ko said. "I turned in 3-under, made a good putt on 10 and made two good birdies in a row and I think that is where I started to get into a good rhythm."

Ko drew even with Thompson at the 11th hole, and then went on to record four more birdies coming in while Thompson ran into trouble.

"To finish with two birdies and to finish on the 72nd hole with a birdie, it doesn’t happen often," Ko added. "So it is definitely one of the top rounds in my whole entire life and I'm sure it will be for my career."

In addition to the trophy, Ko collected a check for $487,500. She has $4.2 million in career earnings.

No comments :