Monday, November 30

Aussie Champ Matt Jones Recalls His Idol, Greg Norman

1987 Flashback: Greg Norman meets Matt Jones for the first time. Matt won the Australian Open Golf yesterday. Channel...
Posted by 7 News Sydney on Sunday, November 29, 2015

MATT JONES WON THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN on Sunday, edging World No. 1 Jordan Spieth and fellow Aussie Adam Scott by a shot at the Australian Golf Club of Sydney.

I admit that I was most interested in posting the above video of Jones meeting his idol Greg Norman in 1987. Jones was a boy of 6; he is now 35 and an Open champion in his homeland.

It wasn't easy, though. I guess it never is.

Jones had nervous moments and stumbles during the final round ("It was stressful out there"), but nor was Spieth especially sharp. The two men in the final group fired 73 and 71, respectively. Meanwhile, Scott surged with a 65 and Rod Pampling carded a course-record 61 to finish fourth.

"I've watched the Australian Open many years growing up," Jones said, "watching Norman especially because he was my idol.

"Just to have my name on that trophy with Norman, it's something I'll never forget. It's a dream come true for me and something I can't have taken away from me."

(H/T Michael Collins)

No comments :