Tuesday, November 3

Stevie's 'Out of the Rough' Sounds a Little Thin

STEVE WILLIAMS, THE MAN ON THE BAG for all but one of Tiger Woods's 14 major victories, has published an autobiography called Out of the Rough. Whatever you think of Williams, he was undoubtedly one of the best -- if not the best -- tour caddie of his generation.

Available at Amazon
This book was an opportunity to reveal a lot to golf fans; not just about Tiger Woods, but also by documenting a long tenure looping alongside a handful of golf greats that, besides Woods, included Raymond Floyd, Greg Norman and Adam Scott.

Golf.com's Michael Bamberger, in a Monday review, said that Williams has largely failed, calling Out of the Rough "trite, superficial and vindictive."

That's unfortunate.

Bamberger concluded:
I fear that my disappointment in Williams's book says more about me as a golf fan than about Williams as writer. I have devoted too much of my adult life to watching Tiger Woods, thinking about Tiger Woods and worrying about Tiger Woods. I wish I didn't care so much, but who can control care? Woods wore a mantle that matters to a great number of us, a mantle that got handed down from Hogan to Arnold to Jack to Watson to Norman to Tiger. What I want -- what I think many of us want -- is to know whether the emotion we placed in this athlete who had the capacity to change the game was well-placed or not. 
I turned to Stevie Williams to take me to a higher ground. But I'm still sitting right here in my desk chair.
I don't expect to read the book, but maybe you will. I certainly wouldn't discourage you. There must be some interesting observations, but, as many people know, anything negative or sensational about Tiger often drowns out everything else.

And, finally, Steve Williams has a history of score-settling, which doesn't help.

No comments :