Monday, March 28

WGC-Dell Match Play: Same Day, Different Week



JASON DAY COLLECTED ANOTHER TROPHY at the WGC-Dell Match Play in Austin, making it consecutive wins in consecutive weeks. Day dispatched Louis Oosthuizen 5 and 4 in the final, and is again on top of the Official World Golf Ranking.

"It's been an amazing week," Day told Golf Channel's Steve Sands. "I've really enjoyed this golf course. I've been able to not only utilize the great short game that I've had from last week to this week, but to be able to play the way I did from tee to green and then on top of it make tough matches and hit the clutch shots, it's been really fantastic."

Day certainly looks and sounds like a very confident golfer at the moment. And to think he almost dropped out early in the week.

"It was fifty-fifty when I woke up that morning on Thursday and was hitting balls on the range," Day said. "Everyone was standing behind me wondering if I was going to tee it up… As things went on… slowly the back got better and better. But the amount of therapy that I did this week was a lot. But very pleased with how it recovered so quickly."

Day also certainly looks like the Masters favorite, but he might not want to hear that. He has more work to do.

"One thing that I need to focus on is I can't really get too complacent with how I’m playing," he said. "I need to focus on the little things that make me great and really just go into Augusta and prep the exact same way that I always have in the past. And really try and focus on hitting it and executing the shots when I get there, and hopefully the rest takes care of itself."

Not surprisingly, the broadcast team was praising Day. Peter Jacobsen may have said it best.

"What impresses me about Jason Day is that he's a no excuses kind of guy," Jacobsen said. "He's been through a lot in his life, emotionally and now physically… This guy's just tough. It's impressive."

Jacobsen is right. Those are the qualities that make champions.

Day is supremely talented. But he is also a super hard worker. If he stays healthy and dedicated, he should win more majors.

No comments: