Tuesday, September 6

A Quick Turnaround for Rory McIlroy


HALFWAY THROUGH THE FEDEX CUP PLAYOFFS and with the Ryder Cup approaching, it was an opportune time for Rory McIlroy to find his game -- all of his game, especially his putting.

McIlroy collected his 12th PGA Tour title yesterday at the Deutche Bank Championship at TPC Boston. He started slow and finished fast.

"I think those last 15 holes on Friday were definitely a turning point," Rory told Golf Channel's Steve Sands, "not just in this tournament, but maybe in my season, to play the last 15 holes in 4-under par to get it back to even par for the day.

"Then I tweaked my putting grip on Saturday morning. Holed some putts on Saturday and went with it and got some momentum. Here we are, 69 holes later and 19-under par later, and I end up with the trophy. It is amazing to think how I started this tournament and what was going through my mind after three holes, and then all of a sudden standing here with a trophy four days later. It is pretty cool."

McIlroy certainly needed something, a turnaround of some kind, after a victory drought of more than a year on the PGA Tour and a few months since his win at the Irish Open.

"I came off the back of a rough couple of weeks," he said. "Missed the cut at Baltusrol. Feeling like my game was close at Barclays, but I didn't hole anything. I was thinking, 'Here we go again,' and that it was going to be a little bit of a grind and a bit of a struggle. As I said, things can turn around quickly in this game and they did for me this week."

Rory will take that momentum to Indianapolis this week for the BMW Championship. He rose 34 spots to fourth in the FedEx Cup standings.

"[H]opefully I can keep it going for the next couple of tournaments, and ultimately into the Ryder Cup."

No comments: