Friday, December 30

Shooting a 79 at Age 92

Jerry Yellin didn't shoot his age. He obliterated it.
(Images courtesy of Steven Yellin)

IF WE LIVE LONG ENOUGH and play well enough, we might shoot our age, or even better it. It's a wonderful achievement when you consider it. I remember many years ago how Arnold Palmer shot a 66 when he was 66 (or maybe 67) at a Senior Tour event in the Seattle area on a golf course I occasionally played.

I recall 80-year-old Jack Fleck (about whom I wrote my first book) shooting a 77 at Firestone Country Club in the 2002 Senior PGA Championship. Think about that for a second. Tom Watson was impressed. While interviewed after his round, Watson said the media should be talking to Fleck.

[For golf equipment reviews, visit golfoid.com]

There are many other fine examples of the famous and not-so-famous accomplishing the shoot-your-age feat. I want to share one I learned about the other day courtesy of a Facebook friend named Steven Yellin.


His father Jerry, age 92 and smiling broadly, carded a 79, which included a 1-over 36 on the incoming nine. That news garnered over 300 likes, 12 shares and countless comments on Facebook.

"Not too sure this has happened before," Steven wrote. "92 years old. 79. Played it as it lies. Historic."

Congratulations to Jerry. You're my newest golf hero.

[Shoes for all occasions at nicershoes.com]

1 comment:

Brian Kuehn said...

At age 64, shooting my age is not yet within the realm of possibility. In 2015 I played a round at the University of Michigan course with Jim Briegel. White tees - 5,999 yards 69.4/128 rating.

Jim is a Michigan Golf Hall of Fame member. In 2015 he was only 89 years old. He shot 75 with a tap-in birdie on the 18th hole (419 yard par 4 - #2 Handicap Hole).

In 2016, at age 90, he beat his age in every round he played, including a 77 in a tournament in June.