Monday, February 27

Rickie Fowler: 'My Putter Saved Me'



RICKIE FOWLER WON THE HONDA CLASSIC by four shots on Sunday, finishing 12 under on the Champion Course at PGA National Resort & Spa in Palm Beach Gardens. It was Fowler's fourth PGA Tour victory and his first win since the 2015 Deutsche Championship.

"My putter saved me. I made some good putts," Fowler told Golf Channel's Steve Sands.

"It was tough out there today. Fought as hard as I could. I felt like I hit a lot of good shots, or shots that I thought were going to turn out good. The wind was tough today. It was heavy. It was blowing pretty good, so it kept us on our toes. A few of those putts I made on 8, and the two birdies I made on 12 and 13… If I don't make those putts, I've got a pretty tight race."

For some of those who watched such as NBC golf analyst Johnny Miller, the final round was a struggle.

"Obviously a win is a win," Miller said. "But you've got to learn to finish off Sundays like a true champion. But the bottom line, he just made the putts."

Jack Nicklaus called Fowler "one of the greatest kids I've ever met."

"This kind of lets us chill out in a way," Fowler added. "There’s less pressure, less stress. Just keep doing what we're doing. Get in the gym. Keep working on stuff with Butch [Harmon] and moving forward. I think this is something we needed going into Augusta, and I definitely like the spot where we’re at right now."

No comments: