Monday, March 20

Marc Leishman: 'Today was the Day'



AUSTRALIAN MARC LEISHMAN SHOT A 69 on Sunday to win the Arnold Palmer Invitational by one shot over Kevin Kisner and Charley Hoffman. Leishman's second PGA Tour title gives him a three-year exemption and also means he'll be back at the Masters.

"I've been playing well all year," Leishman told Golf Channel.

"I've been driving it better than I ever have. It's funny, this game's a lot easier out of the fairway. That's been probably the biggest difference. Then the putter. The putter has been amazing this year. The stats probably show that, especially this week. But I feel like all year it's been really close and I just haven't quite played how I wanted to on Sundays, but today was the day."

Leishman continued an Aussie streak at Arnie's place. Jason Day won at Bay Hill in 2016.

"Mr. Palmer was an awesome guy who I was lucky enough to meet a few times at this tournament. So obviously to honor him was huge," Leishman added.

"Another reason why it was so special this week is this is the first time I've won a tournament with my family here… It all came together, and to do it here, especially on a Presidents Cup year as well. I was outside those standings, so to get back inside those is really good. And I guess the Masters too; I wasn't in there. It's just an unbelievable day."

No comments: