Friday, June 2

AUDIO: Talking to Golf Legend Tommy Bolt


I WAS LUCKY TO TALK to Tommy Bolt, a Hall of Famer who led after the first and second rounds of the 1955 U.S. Open. (Bolt was an important figure in my first book, THE LONGEST SHOT: Jack Fleck, Ben Hogan, and Pro Golf's Greatest Upset at the 1955 U.S. Open.)

They called him "Thunder Bolt" and other nicknames because of his legendary temper and club throwing.

Tommy was not in good health in the spring of 2008. He was in a nursing home in Arkansas the first time I called and told me to try him again in a week or two. I called back, and although he didn't feel well that day, at his wife's urging, he took the phone. When we finished, Tommy said he was glad we talked.

Tommy Bolt died three months later on August 30, 2008. He had 14 wins on the PGA Tour, including the 1958 U.S. Open, and played on two U.S. Ryder Cup teams.

No comments: