Monday, July 17

VIDEO: Euro Tour's Left-Handed Challenge and Surprise Winners at the U.S. Women's Open and John Deere Classic



IT'S OPEN WEEK AT ROYAL BIRKDALE, but I must say that last week served as a nice buildup to the world's oldest golf championship.

Rafe Cabrera-Bellow won the Aberdeen Asset Management Scottish Open in a playoff against Callum Shinkwin. Both players finished 13 under at Dundonald Links in Gailes.

"I'm obviously incredibly pleased with how I played today," Cabrera-Bellow told Golf Channel's Damon Hack. "I played my best golf of pretty much the entire year."

The creative minds of the European Tour staged "The Left-Handed Challenge" (see video) at the Scottish Open before the main event got underway. Perhaps not surprising that tour players, 99 percent of which are right-handed, look pretty good from the left side, even if their iron shots curve into the bleachers.

[To get the top Sports Mobile Livescore app for your Android and iOs, Download CBS Sports.]

Sung-Hyun Park won the U.S. Women's Open at Trump National Bedminster, a first on many levels: first LPGA win, first U.S. victory and first major. Park rallied to win by two shots over 17-year-old amateur Hye-Jin Choi.

Park said, "I wanted to believe in myself." 

It worked.

Bryson DeChambeau surprised a lot of people (including himself, I think) by coming home in 30 strokes for a final-round 65 to win the John Deere Classic. Now Bryson will tee it up at Royal Birkdale.

"I've just been working so hard my whole life to try to do this," DeChambeau told CBS. "And to finally have it happen at the John Deere, where I started pretty much a couple years ago, is pretty incredible."

There's a lot of Open programming this week. If you enjoy golf history like me, watch "Summer of '76" on Golf Channel. It airs at 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

This post is sponsored by CBS.

No comments: